There are many organizations that provide opportunities for you to share your time, talent and financial resources. They range from local organizations to world-wide. You are encouraged to explore these organizations and find YOUR mission.
If you want a resource added to this list or if you determine a link to be in error, please contact David Roderick (firstname.lastname@example.org) or any member of the missions team. If you want your name listed as a local contact for the organization you can also contact David.
In most cases a link to the organizations website and Facebook page are provided. If a Facebook link is provided, it will always be indicated by ‘(Facebook)‘. In most cases you must be signed in to Facebook in order to use the Facebook link.
Some entries will include the name of members of the Troy UMC congregation involved with the organization. They have indicated a willingness to share their experience and assist in introducing others to the organization. If you want to connect with them and do not know them, please contact David Roderick (email@example.com). In the interest of privacy we do not publish personal phone numbers or email addresses.
Local Food Pantries
Visit these the site in your community to discover current needs and volunteer opportunities.
- Troy Ministries Unlimited (Facebook)
- Glen-Ed Food Pantry
- Maryville Food Pantry
- Collinsville Food Pantry
Family and Social Services
- Cunningham Childrens Home (Urbana)
- Good Samaritan House (Granite City)
- Lessie Bates Neighborhood House (East St. Louis) (contact: Lisa Graves)
- Mosaic Pregnancy and Health Centers (Granite City)
- Oasis Women’s Center (Alton) (on Facebook only)
- Spero Family Services (Mt. Vernon) (Formerly the United Methodist Children’s Home)
- Our Conference, Our Kids – Illinois Great Rivers Conference initiative that includes several of the above homes.
Summer Lunch Programs
These programs provide lunch during the summer months to school-age children that participate in subsidized lunch programs during the school year.
- Troy Summer Lunch Program (contact David Roderick) – This program was started by the churches in Troy to serve residents of Troy.
- TWIGS (on the web) – This program was started in Granite City and has expanded to include many area communities. (contact: Gerry Augustine)
- Bridge Bread (St. Louis)
- Compassion International (Facebook)
- Global Hope Network International (Facebook)
- Heifer Project (Facebook)
- United Methodist Church Missions
- Illinois Great Rivers Conference Missions
- Portland Rescue Mission – A good resource for providing help to the homeless.