The official purpose of the United Methodist Women as adopted by the General Conference of the United Methodist Church is:
United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
The web page of the United Methodist Women organization provides vision, objectives, history and other information about the organization as a whole. The Troy United Methodist Women support the vision and objectives in several ways. We support a number of missions (links to many of these missions can be found on the Missions Resources page):
- Cunningham Children’s Home–Urbana
- Lessie Bates Davis Neighborhood House – E. St. Louis
- Midwest Mission Distribution Center–Chatham
- Spero Family Services, Mount Vernon
- Red Bird Mission—Beverly, Kentucky
- The Heifer Project
- Ministries Unlimited
- Oasis Women’s Center in Alton
- Good Samaritan House in Granite City
- Covering House in St. Louis, MO
- And Other Special Church Mission Projects
We support these missions by participating in on-site volunteering activities and by donations raised through fundraising activities such as:
- Spring Spaghetti Dinner/Silent Auction
- Fall Rummage Sale/Bake Sale
- Fall through Christmas Pecan & Cashew Sale
In addition to supporting missions, we also participate in several other activities:
- District & Conference Retreats & Meetings
- School of Christian Mission
- UMW Reading Program
- UMW Sunday
- Community World Day of Prayer
- World Thank Offering
- Call to Prayer and Self Denial
- Prepare and Serve Luncheons for Funerals
Joining the Troy United Methodist Women
Women of all ages are invited to our monthly meetings and activities. We benefit from participating in district and conference events. Active participation is our goal.
United Methodist Women offers its members:
- Global Awareness
We have two active fellowship groups to accommodate differing availabilities. The day group meets on the second Thursday of each month from 1:00 to 3:00 P.M in rooms 116/117 (next to the kitchen). The evening group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 P.M in rooms 116/117 (next to the kitchen).
For more information contact the church office (618) 667-6241.