Thanks to each member of the worship team at Troy UMC! You all are really cool and fun to serve together. There are approximately 50 people serving in worship ministry and we had great attendance last night. For those who were unable to make it, here’s a brief run down of what we did.
James 4:8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you…
SCHEDULE FOR THE FALL
7:15 – band and vocals can come, arrange their music, instruments and connections quietly on stage (Student Ministry is in the Family Life Center until 7:45)
7:30 – Worship Team Prayer. We want to pray for needs and growth within the lives and homes of team members and to pray on behalf of the church for ministry, outreach and boldness.
7:44 – Jump into rehearsal, fully ready.
8:44 – Conclude and head home.
** There are times when rehearsals are not possible, based on special events in the FLC or on schedules. These times will be listed on Planning Center and reminders will be sent. The norm is to rehearse, but we will be flexible.
7:00 – Tech Team arrives to double check staging and sound
7:45 – Band and vocals ready to go for final sound check and any transitions needed during worship. Begin with Prayer.
8:20 – Flow details – when to go down and come up, what needs to be moved, what else will be happening, etc.
8:33 – Coffee, Community, Connections.
9:00 – Lead worship
10:00 – CCC
10:35 – Lead worship for second service
11:45 – Conclude and head home.
PICK A QUOTE THAT RESONATES WITH YOU
We went around the circle and asked everyone to pick a quote that stuck out to them. If you were at the meeting, feel free to comment with the quote you picked. If you weren’t at the meeting, please add your in the comment section below.
“Connecting always requires energy.” – John Maxwell
“People are attracted to excellence.” – Chris Widener
“If no one in the congregation is singing, it doesn’t matter how good the worship band is.” – J. Michael Walters
“As musicians and singers, our number one job is to help the congregation worship.” -B. Dempsey
“Vision is discovered, not invented.” – Reggie McNeal
“Today’s church prays for safety, the early church prayed for boldness.” – Perry Noble
I find that during worship, ideas, creativity & thoughts come clearly: “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.” 1Sam. 3:9
“Church leaders seem unable to grasp this simple implication of the new world—people outside the church think church is for church people, not for them.” Reggie McNeal
“Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.” – Ralph Marston
“There’s a broken heart on every pew.” ― Cecil Randall
“Ministry’s not an option for a Christian; it’s a privilege.” ― Lori Hatcher
The role of worship leader is likened more to door opener at Applebees than it is to a CEO.
“Ministry that costs nothing, accomplishes nothing.” – John Henry Jowett
“Being simple is hard work.” John Maxwell
Model worship, don’t just lead it.
“One question I always enjoy asking church leaders is “How do you want your church to be different two years from now?” ― Will Mancini
“Too often we argue about Christianity instead of marveling at Jesus.” –John Ortberg
Your proximity to God personally will be the proximity the church will go corporately.
Cleaning house with kids around is like brushing your teeth with Oreos. – Mikey’s Funnies .com
“I love the intensity of the Psalms. No one ever sounds bored about God or about life in the Psalms.”- M. Redman
“Don’t let your life give evidence against your tongue. Sing with your voices… sing also with your conduct.” St. Augustine
“I would never want to reach out someday with a soft, uncallused hand-a hand never dirtied by serving-and shake the nail-pierced hand of Jesus.” ― Bill Hybels
Excellence is described as doing the best with what you have. Jason Hatley
- 1) Here to support and assist people in connecting with God.
- 2) Life off stage is more important / impacting than life on stage.
- 3) All of us are worship leaders – vocals, tech, band, etc. We are a team.
- 4) We want to be open to growth in both excellence and in membership
GOALS OF THE WORSHIP TEAM
- 1) Creativity and Community
- a) We need to keep growing in creativity – musically, utilizing people, growing, ways of wowing people.
- 2) No Paper (go digital, print and keep track of personal music, or memorize 🙂
- a) This may be a process, but if you have a digital device, you can start by downloading musicstand (and app connected to planning center).
- 3) Rehearsal is a contract (this one is for Tim)
- We need to grow into rehearsal being as concrete as possible.
BASICS FOR WORSHIP MINISTRY TEAMS THIS FALL
- 1) Help people feel welcome and comfortable – reach out, greet, smile
- 2) Practice alone, rehearse together
- 3) Rehearse Wednesday and lead two services on Sunday – Rehearsal makes Sundays better.
- 4) Become a Planning Center Pro – Block off dates, Learn songs, Add text option to your profile.
- 5) We’re in for the fall season – thanks for your commitment. There are always seasons in life – if you come to a point that you can’t be fully engaged in worship ministry, it’s cool to take a breather. If you realize you have more time to invest, there are roles to be filled. Feel free to talk with me (Tim).
I would love to have you answer these questions through email or a conversation (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 1) Do you have suggestions for worship ministry?
- 2) What does your family say about the worship services at Troy UMC?
- 3) Are your gifts being used fully in worship ministry?
- 4) What are your thoughts?